Sunday 26 December 2010

Book Review: A Wallflower Christmas - Lisa Kleypas

I've been reading all four series of Wallflower girls by Lisa Kleypas. And when I saw this on the bookstore oneday before christmas, I just simply can't resist it!
I've been planning to find some books related with christmas, so I could feel the joy and such.. :)
I eventually finish reading this book on the same day.. December 24th..

The Story
It's not about the 4 wallflower girls.. But about Lilian and Daisy's brother, Rafe.
Rafe was the only son of Bowman family, and so the father, Thomas was very hard at him.
Rafe had refuse all his father's will, and he step up, made his own business, and succeed.
But one day, he had to go to England, find a wife, as it is his father's will to have Natalie, a daughter of blue-blood, Blandford family as his daughter-in-law. If Rafe failed to marry her, then he won't get the opportunity to have the Bowman's England business.
On the effort to know Natalie better, Lilian invite Hannah (a poor cousin, who is Natalie's chapperone) for a tea.
During the meal, however, Rafe feels interest in Hannah. In the other hand, Hannah never approve Rafe as Natalie's husband-to-be. She think as an American, his culture are diifferent, he's ungentle, weird and not-appropriate for her beautiful and charming cousin, Natalie. But at the same occasion, Rafe showed how he would treat something that blocks his way.
The kiss between Rafe and Hannah is a changing moment for both of them.
For the Christmas time, Lilian planned to have a party. All the wallflowers are there.. Lilian (and her husband ofcourse), Daisy (and her husband Marcus), Evie, and Anabelle. During the events, Rafe found out more about Hannah, and knew that he couldn't marry anyone but her. Hannah, found out that beside Rafe's outrangeous manner, he's just a simple, lonely man. They soon found they love eachother. The wallflower help Hannah preparing for the dinner, giving her their maid, pearls, gloves, and simply showed their cares for the new addition to the wallflower group. Hannah looks adorable for the dinner, she's decided to tell Rafe how she felt, but the dinner is ready and the Bowman family and Blandford famliy are prepared to tell the happy wedding news to everyone.. The news is brought up, a wedding is set..
Natalie, being broken hearted, run away from the dining hall... and cried out, feeling too late to tell her feelings to Rafe..
Or is it??

My comment
It was a pleasure reading more stories about wallflowers. I do love the appearance of Hunt and Sebastian, kind of remind me to their stories, and make me wanted to re-read it :)
However, the story is a bit classic, so the ending is not so predictable.
I've always love a historical romance, and Lisa Kleypas is one of my favorite in this particular topic.
I love the christmas setting, and i could simply imagine how Lilian with her passion being jealous at her husband. How Evie and Annabelle tried to force Lilian away from all the sewing activities.
I'm drawn into the Charles Dicken's christmas ghost stories when Hannah told the story to the kids.
I laugh hardly reading a boy manage to stole Thomas's wig and put it on the christmas tree.
I cried reading Lilian telling Hannah about Rafe's soldier toy story..
I just simply love the characters.
Except for Thomas Bowman's character.. But then, without him as a bad father, the story won't be complete.. :)
I'm ready for my christmas!!

No comments:

Post a Comment