Tuesday 27 October 2009

Ayrine's first NGO experience

NGO.. What's that?? I even dunno what it stands for..
The person who's tell me that NGO stands for Non Goverment Organisation is Sari..
Applause for her..

Anyway,
The story started with a post at www.couchsurfing.com
A guy named CAKCAK said there will be an NGO meeting in Sby n they need some volunteers for translator.
I thought this was a great opportunity.
I love to see whether I could be involved with such humanity, social things..
So I just simply e him that YES I could help, but only for a day.

So the day was last saturdat, 24th oct. It was actually 3 days meeting. I was afraid at the beginning, wondering whether it was a good decision that I joined them.
Then I come at the meeting point at Hotel Santika, at 8.18. I was late..

And intoduction begin. There are 7 translator, 4 from Untag (which I guess pro), and the rest was from cs.
We're soon introduced to Mrs. Wardah (sort of the leader I guess), and not long after that we're divided to 3 groups.
I am paired with Mas Tomo from UNTAG, and we'll go to Kampung Kebraon.
We're accompanying 6 foreigners, from NGO and also community leaders from their country.
At kebraon, we've some sharing with the villagers. Seen how they survive and manage their life as the river guardian.
Also learned some historical stories about the network maintained by UPC.
We also learned how people at Japan, thailand, and philipines had the similar situation.
Its a learning process for everyone..

After that we went to kali bratang, see how to make fertilizer (kompos) and also plant some bamboos simbolicly..
Next, we went to ITS, for a regional workshop. Prof. Johan silas explained about the kampung improvement program that he maintained.
Also there are some presentation about the history of this program, and from thailand, philipines, and even MONGOLIA!!!

I saw these, and did some translating. Really hope I am usefull..
I like how these people showed that they care, that they listen, they learn, and they do things for the villagers..
Well but not every translator enjoy the day like me.
Just found it out late at nite.
So even in NGO, we could find a sleepy and bored person, a nasty person, and even a weird person with such complicated mind..
But as prof. Johan said, its a learning process..

Glad I joined them, even for a day only.
It was nice and open a new horizon for me..
I'll see whether its my call to use my knowledge as chem eng to help.. Hmm..

So, it's my first experience, and I'm still eager to find out more about NGO..

No comments:

Post a Comment